Section B(18 marks)
Direction :For each blank in the following passage there are four words or phrases marked A,B,C,D. Fill in each blank with the word or phrase that best fits the context.
Behind our house is the start of a fascinating trail（小径）.This trail is one of the old roads that wind through untold miles of forest. My 36 , Beans, and I walk the trail frequently. Normally, Beans sniffs alongside the trail to follow the smell of a deer track or 37 some cause known only to him.
Beans is a white dog, quite handsome and very 38 . He not only understands what we tell him, but also often makes sounds as if he were trying to 39 back.
One morning, we took different route, which led us to an unfamiliar trail. I was sure this trail would eventually lead us to our familiar 40 . But, no. We seemed to be far off course. After two hours, Isuddently realized that Beans probably 41 the way home. So I urged, “Beans, take me home.” He ran down a new trail. But it merely led to an intersection（岔道口）of trails.
Soon it became 42 that we were getting nowhere. I began to pictue the rest of the day in 43 , without food or drink. We had walked about ten miles. But Beans seemed totally 44 . The sniffing and exploring was going well for him.
Finally, we 45 a crossroad near a highway. Lady Luck suggested I should turn left. We did and 46 reached a cottage beside a field. I knocked on the door and explained my situation to an old man. He laughed and then drove us home.
Since our adventure, I 47 that Beans probably knew all along how to get home. He was just having too much fun exploring new trails.
36. A.deer B.dog C.lady D.man
37. A.imagine B.consider C.explore D.present
38. A.tum B.sweet C.slow D.shy
39. A.tum B.kick C.jump D.speak
40. A.driveway B.path C.crossroda D.highway
41. A.dmew B.saw C.showed D.made
42. A.mysterious B.ridiculous C.fascinating D.appaent
43. A.house B.forest C.field D.cottage
44. A.unconcerned B.unconscicos C.undecided D.uncomfortable
45. A.left for B.went off C.came to D.drove toward
46. A.punctually B.frequently C.formally D.shortly
47. A.regrtted B.remembered C.concluded D.confirmed