首页>新概念英语>新概念英语下载>正文
新概念英语第三册美音版mp3下载-57

www.zige365.com 2014-9-12 9:21:58 点击:发送给好友 和学友门交流一下 收藏到我的会员中心

导语:新概念英语网提醒大家多多学习新概念英语第三册美音版mp3下载-57.

Lesson 57 Back in the old country
重返故里
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
Did the narrator find his mother's grave?
I stopped to let the car cool off and to study the map.
我停下车,让汽车发动机冷却一下,同时查看一下地图。
I had expected to be near my objective by now, but everything still seemed alien to me.
我本想离目的地已经不远,但周围一切对我仍很陌生。
I was only five when my father had taken me abroad, and that was eighteen years ago.
我5岁那年,父亲就带我出了国,那是18年前的事了。
When my mother had died after a tragic accident, he did not quickly recover from the shock and loneliness.
当时我母亲在一次事故中惨死,父亲未能很快从悲痛与孤独中恢复过来。
Everything around him was full of her presence, continually reopening the wound.
他身边的一切都有母亲的影子不断地勾起他的伤感。
So he decided to emigrate.
于是他决定移居他国。
In the new country he became absorbed in making a new life for the two of us, so that he gradually ceased to grieve.
在这个新的国家里,父亲专心致志地为我们俩开创一种新的生活,慢慢地不伤心了。
He did not marry again and I was brought up without a woman's care;
父亲没有再娶,因此,我在没有母亲的环境里长大成人。
but I lacked for nothing, for he was both father and mother to me.
但我却什么都不缺,他既当父亲又当母亲。
He always meant to go back one day, but not to stay.
他总想将来回国看看,但却不愿长期住下去,
His roots and mine bad become too firmly embedded in the new land.
因为他与我一样已经把根深深地扎在了异国的土地上。
But he wanted to see the old folk again and to visit my mother's grave.
但是,他想看一看家乡父老乡亲,为我的母亲扫墓。
He became mortally ill a few months before we had planned to go and, when he knew that he was dying, he made me promise to go on my own.
就在他计划回国的前几个月,他突然身患绝症。他知道自己已奄奄一息,于是他要我答应一定单独回故乡一趟。
I hired a car the day after landing and bought a comprehensive book of maps,
我下飞机后租了一辆车,并买了一本详尽的地图册。
which I found most helpful on the cross-country journey, but which I did not think I should need on the last stage.
在乡间行车途中,我觉得它非常有用,但快到家了,我倒觉得它没什么用了。
It was not that I actually remembered anything at all.
这倒并非是我背熟了地图,
But my father had described over and over again what we should see at every milestone, after leaving the nearest town,
而是父亲曾详细给我讲了,在过了离故乡最近的那个小镇后,在每一个路标处可见到些什么。
so that I was positive I should recognize it as familiar territory.
因此,我相信这段路对我来说会是很熟悉的。
Well, I had been wrong, for I was now lost.
唉,实际我错了,我现在迷路了。
I looked at the map and then at the milometer.
我看了看地图,又查了一下里程表。
I had come ten miles since leaving the town,
从小镇出来,我走了10英里。
and at this point, according to my father, I should be looking at farms and cottages in a valley,
照父亲的说法,我面前应是一个山谷,有农场与村舍,
with the spire of the church of our village showing in the far distance.

本新闻共2页,当前在第1页  1  2  

上一篇:新概念英语第三册美音版mp3下载-58 下一篇:没有了
我要投稿 新闻来源: 编辑: 作者:
相关新闻
新概念英语第三册美音版mp3下载-58 
新概念英语第三册美音版mp3下载-59
新概念英语第三册美音版mp3下载-60
新概念英语第三册lesson 25 The Cutty Sark
新概念英语第三册lesson 24 A skeleton in the cupboa